« Import/Export | Main | Textbook horror »

August 08, 2004

This Old House: The Finish

Last night I finished with the bedroom renovation. The room feels so much more open without the dirty carpet and with the more muted wall coloring. So far Sarah hasn't mentioned anything about it. I assumed she had forgotten about my vow to redo the bedroom while she was gone, but I was also banking on the fact that she wouldn't read my blog while she was in DC or New York. She might have a nice surprise waiting for her tomorrow afternoon.

So it is finished and I think it looks pretty good. I didn't imagine that doing the crown-moulding would be the most frustrating part of the whole project. It took me a couple of hours of trial and error (and several wasted feet of pine moulding) and a lot of web-surfing (I got 10 pages deep into Google before I found the page that made it all crystal-clear) to figure out the right way to the do inside corners.

When I started I just assumed a 45° angle for each piece and cut the corner pieces flat in the miter box. Well, that obviously didn't work so I began surfing. Most people talked about using a coping saw to cut out the profile of the corner piece so it connected like a butt joint. I was all ready to go out and buy a coping saw but none of the web pages I looked at had a very good description of what I needed to do.

Then I happened upon the magical web page. I was cutting the 45° flat in the miter box which was only about half-way right. I needed to cut the piece in the box as it would be on the wall, but upside down so that the surface that touches the wall is on the bottom of the box. When cut that way, in addition to the 45° angle, you get a 22.5° angle on the face of the pieces. They joined perfectly and I finished up pretty quickly.

I almost electrocuted myself as I was finishing. The metal step-stool I was standing on cut through the cord of my radio during the 7th inning of the Cubs-Giants game. I saw a small burst of light and then caught a whiff of electrical fire. At first I was afraid I'd driven a nail into a wire (they're not supposed to be in the place I was hammering but in a 90 year old house, who knows).

If I could find my camera I'd post some pics of the finished room.

Posted by Half-Cocked at August 8, 2004 06:18 PM

Comments

One of my fave Oregon blogs is about a fixer - http://blogs.salon.com/0003153/ - and Jill had a great post about crown molding (I wish I could search for it). Apparently it is one of the most frustrating areas of remodels! Good for you for only ruining a couple of feet!!!!

Posted by: Shelley at August 9, 2004 08:32 AM