« 80 Arguments Against Direct Democracy | Main | Happy Thanksgiving Everybody »

November 23, 2004

Like charcoal filtering from heaven

So, yesterday I went ahead and tried the cheap vodka filtering method I found thanks to fellow boozehound, E. Spatch. The story has also found its way onto Slashdot which means there's a legion of geeks out there rigging their water filter pitchers up to computers so they can minutely control the rate and flow of their filter as well as measure the impurities in the vodka (running on Linux, of course).

Since we got the new fridge what has water magically flowing from the door, our old filter pitcher has been in the basement. There's no better use for an unused water filter than filtering vodka, I must say. It seems to work pretty well. I filtered a 1.75 L jug of Popov 5 times and what remained was a flavorless, inoffensive booze. I haven't done the hangover stress-testing yet, but the opportunity may present itself over the weekend.

What you don't get is the little flavor characteristics you get from top-shelf vodka - the subtle sweetness of Ketel One, the slight oiliness of Stolichnaya, the earthiness of potato vodkas like Monopolowa or the pure spring water of Grey Goose.

There are dangers. Remember, it's vodka in there, not water. You're used to pouring a tall, cool glass of water from that pitcher. While a tall, cool glass of vodka might sound like fun, it's not advised. Pour into a shot glass first.

Posted by Half-Cocked at November 23, 2004 04:57 PM

Comments

That is SO awesome! If I wasn't going home for the holiday I would totally try that out...don't think the 'rents would approve though. But man, you totally get a gold star for that!

Posted by: energy spatula at November 23, 2004 09:22 PM

dude, i posted that like a week ago. it is sooooo last week. i think we're going to use it for our company christmas party.

Posted by: julee at November 24, 2004 09:24 AM

oh yeah, we were going to try the 3 filter pvc pipe method.

Posted by: julee at November 24, 2004 09:25 AM

No shit it's last week. But I actually did it before you so I win.

Posted by: Steve at November 24, 2004 09:59 AM

my vodka was too good to test on. besides, everyone know's its cream liquor weather. (or brandy and cokes). what's up with all of my friends starting to drink brandy? do you know how to make brandy alexanders? we could celebrate that sucky movie, and sucky jared leto.

Posted by: julee at November 24, 2004 11:27 AM

Of course I know how to make Brandy Alexanders. They're yummy.

Posted by: Steve at November 24, 2004 11:42 AM

This is interesting, if only because Vodka and Tequila are my two liquors of choice and (not coincidentally) the ones I am most snobbish about. I haven't had non-Goose or non-Patron in quite a while.

That said... if you can really make something like Vladimir "good," this method might turn something a little higher up the potato chain into a decent substitute.

Posted by: Soup at November 24, 2004 09:34 PM