« Plagues of Locusts over Dover | Main | Nader »

November 11, 2005

Friday Random Play: Seminar Paper Writin' Edish

I haven't randomized the full playlist in awhile so here we go. My ranking of the songs are on a scale of 1 (I'm so embarrassed this is in my playlist that I might kill myself) to 10 (I could still be a cool record store guy).

1. Billie Holiday, "Them There Eyes" - Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944: 9. Billie is always cool, if a little too well known for the true record store guy.
  2. U2, "Angel of Harlem" - Rattle & Hum: 4. Definitely not their best effort but I can make an argument couched in contrarianism.
  3. Curve, "Cherry" - Pubic Fruit: 7. Like MBV but not as good but you can dance to it.
  4. Echo & the Bunnymen, "Crystal Days" - Ocean Rain: 7. The best album from these guys but still plenty obscure 21 years later.
  5. New Order, "Temptation" - Substance: 5, but only because I'm embarrassed at the decidedly 80's Brit dance-rock direction this list has taken.
  6. Slowdive, "Catch the Breeze" - Just for a Day: 5, for the same reasons as I previously stated.
  7. Dead Milkmen, "Gorilla Girl" - Big Lizard in my Backyard: 8.
  8. X, "Blue Spark" - Under the Big Black Sun: 9. The only thing cooler would be a Richard Hell, James Chance or Germs song at this point.
  9. DJ Spook, That Subliminal Kid & Dave Lombardo, "Metatron" - Drums of Death: 9. Solidly too cool.
  10. Gun Club, "Waiting" - Early Warning: 9.5. 80's cowpunk from L.A. = instant cred.
  11. Tom Waits, "In the Colesseum" - Bone Machine: 7. Not my favorite, but good and always relevant.
  12. Archie Shepp, "Mr. Syms" - Four for Trane: 8. Other Shepp songs would have rated higher but this one isn't nearly out enough.
  13. Miles Davis, "Budo" - Birth of the Cool: 4. Every wannabe cool record store guy has had this album a couple of times.
  14. Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, "Do Your Thing" - Express Yourself: The Best of Charles Wright: 8. Anything from this album but the title track ranks as pretty obscure.
  15. Iron Maiden, "Powerslave" - Powerslave: 8. Cool record store guys like 80's British invasion metal if only for the album covers and the irony factor.

Posted by Half-Cocked at November 11, 2005 05:57 PM

Comments

Steve-O, you SHOULD be embarassed at that playlist. Its almost as bad as my current edition of iTunes after ripping students' iPods (ethical?) to it. So now I have crap like "Good Charlotte" and the soundtrack to "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" on my computer. After confronting one particular student, he admitted that the Lord of the Rings soundtrack was his favorite study music. God save his poor soul.

Posted by: Mr. T at November 11, 2005 07:52 PM

You're right, Mr. T. I can't decide which is worse, the LOTR soundtrack or "Angel of Harlem."

Posted by: Steve at November 11, 2005 08:08 PM

Steve-O, by the way, do you happen to have the "complete sessions" set for "In a Silent Way"?

Posted by: Mr. T at November 11, 2005 10:10 PM

Yes. Email me.

Posted by: Steve at November 11, 2005 10:17 PM

Mr. T is wrong.

But then I used to be a cool record store dude. (at least on paper)

I see no irony in Powerslave.

phat

Posted by: phat-ass at November 11, 2005 10:32 PM

Thought you might like to know:

Tom Wait's Mule Variations

Performed by Jay Bayles ( formerly of Think, The Trendies, Post-Trendies etc) and his cronies from Hastings

Sunday November 20th 6-8 pm Meadowlark Coffeeshop

FREE

featuring

jay bayles - bass / vox
hannah keen - drums
marc myers - guitar
laura mccoy-rolofson - accordian
george white - piano

Posted by: phat-ass at November 11, 2005 10:33 PM

Long time no phat ass! Mr. T's just being a smartass and I'm playing along.

I saw the Jay Mule Variations thing on the Star City Scene board. I'll try to be there.

Posted by: Steve at November 11, 2005 11:03 PM

You wrote, "only because I'm embarrassed at the decidedly 80's Brit dance-rock direction this list has taken."

I'm not sure I understand--the embarrasing part escapes me...

Posted by: Thomas at November 13, 2005 12:02 AM

No reason to be embarassed about Slowdive. I even have their last album, which was import only (at least back when it was issued). Have to say, though, that I actually appreciate Mojave3 more.
I was half expecting to see Swervedriver after Slowdive.

Posted by: justin at November 13, 2005 12:35 AM

Thomas, I think I was just trolling for a comment from you without resorting to insulting Marty Wilson-Piper.

Justin, I agree about Mojave3. Good stuff. I was also surprised Swervedriver didn't come up. Either that or Catherine Wheel or the first Ride album.

Posted by: Steve at November 13, 2005 04:47 PM