August 04, 2009

And...That's A Wrap

Okay, okay…I hear you Gentle Readers. Thank you to those of you who have been sending me little nudges, wondering if and when I might pick up my pen (or keyboard) again. I am amazed that you are still reading, and I appreciate your tenacity and dedication. Now that I don't have any more breast cancer or law school to write about, I don’t quite know where this blog is going to go, but I’ll start with this:

In the five years since I started writing this blog, among other things, I have started law school, turned 40, been diagnosed with and fought breast cancer, won $10,000, lost all my hair, grown it all back, finished law school, gotten a job, graduated from law school, and studied for and taken the bar exam. Other than the breast cancer part, that’s pretty much how I was hoping it all would go. Tomorrow I start a brand new chapter, and this time it is much less predictable than the law school chapter was.

I am so lucky to have been offered and accepted what is essentially my dream job. I’m going to be doing exactly what I have wanted to do since the end of my first year of law school in the place I want to do it. Considering the economy and the dismal legal job market, I am very fortunate to have this job.

Almost exactly fifteen years ago I happily gave up my briefcase and heels and a career in the mortgage industry for a diaper bag and jeans and a career as a stay-at-home mom. It was my favorite career decision so far and I have loved every second of the job. Okay, maybe not every second, but I have loved a lot of them. I would not trade the time I have been able to spend with all three of my kids for anything. I think that my decision to stay home was the right one for my family and for me. However, I always knew that it would come to an end for several reasons. I knew that we would need my additional income in order send them all to college and to retire comfortably, and I also knew that there would come a time when my kids would be ready to leave and to go out on their own. I realized that when that happened, I would want something of my own, something that I enjoyed and that I could devote myself to the way I have devoted myself to them all these years. That thing turned out to be a career as an attorney, and here I am on my way.

Today is my last day as a stay-at-home mom, and I have mixed feelings about it. Of course, I am excited about my new job and about the income that comes along with it. I love the work that I will be doing. But at the same time, I am sad at the idea of leaving this era behind. I think back to the days that sometimes seemed so long that were filled with runs to and from preschool or swimming lessons or gymnastics, trying to work around naptime, shows like Gullah Gullah Island and Sesame Street, and reading the same book 10,000 times. It seems like just yesterday that I was filling up the kiddie pool in the summer or bundling little arms and legs into snowsuits to go sledding.

It is inevitable that your kids grow up and get older and that your life changes in the process, but there is something so bittersweet about leaving those days behind. I love the people my kids have turned and are turning into; I am continually amazed at how incredible they are and at how lucky I am to get to be their mom. I am always excited to see what they are going to do next. But I can’t ever quite forget the little people that they used to be, and there is a part of me that feels as if when I step out the door tomorrow morning, I will be leaving those little people behind forever.

May 17, 2009

Technical Difficulties

You may have noticed that there have been some technical glitches around here lately. Thanks to my favorite blog master, things seem to be working again. In celebration, I'll be posting a long overdue update very soon.

November 29, 2008

Blogger Meet and Greet

I’ve been up to my eyeballs in law school alligators this semester, so I am way behind on my story telling. But I am taking the day off from homework today, so I decided to use the time wisely by posting a long overdue update.

A month or so ago I got an e-mail from my friend Ree telling me that she was going to be in Chicago for a couple of days. We had been talking about meeting one another during one of her (not infrequent) trips here and it just so happened that she was going to be here on one of my school days. Everything fell into place, so I went to meet her one evening at The Reagle Beagle after class.

I walked into the nearly deserted bar, rounded a corner, and there she was. It was so much fun to meet her in person, and she is every bit as funny and kind and irreverent and fabulous as she seems on her blog. I was so thrilled to get to spend some time with her. I’ve met quite a few “internet friends” in real life over the years, and sometimes, as soon as you see them in person, you feel like you already know them. Meeting them in person doesn’t change anything about what you know…it just adds sound and movement to the picture in your mind. That is exactly how I felt about meeting Ree. And if you’ve never read her blog before you’re in for a treat. (And Ree, you can bunk on my couch ANYTIME you are in town!)

And as an added bonus, Ree had invited other friends of hers to join her for a drink, too. Since we were all bloggers, it turned into an official Blogger Meet Up. The conversation was fun and interesting and I was so happy to get a chance to meet both Kristabella and Stephanie. I had such a good time talking with them that I didn’t even realize that the theme of the bar we were in was based on 70s TV shows (remember the Reagle Beagle from Three’s Company?) until just before I left. They all laughed when it suddenly dawned on me that we were surrounded by pictures of The Brady Bunch and The Love Boat cast and that the drinks had names like The Tootie and Blair Cocktail.

Copy of IMG_2683.JPG
Kim, Ree, Stephanie, and Kristabella

October 17, 2008

This Time Last Year

On October 17th of last year, I was getting myself mentally psyched up for my seventh (and second to last) chemotherapy treatment. I was in the middle of the blog scholarship contest, and you were all lifting me up with your encouraging words and your thousands of votes.

Yesterday I got an e-mail letting me know that it was that time of year again. This time around, things are different--I have hair and I feel great, and there won’t be $10,000 waiting for me at the end of the month. Nonetheless, it is time for the 3rd Annual Blogging Scholarship Contest from The entrance requirements are as follows:

• Your blog must contain unique and interesting information about you and/or things you are passionate about.
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
• Currently attending full-time in post-secondary education in the United States; and
• If you win, you must be willing to allow us to list your name and blog on this page. We want to be able to say we knew you before you became a well educated, rich, and famous blogging legend.

If you fit the criteria, why not enter your blog? If you know someone who does, let them know about the contest! It is well worth it, and I can’t wait to see who wins this year. I will post again when the finalists are listed.

August 26, 2008

NBC One Day, ABC the Next

Blog For Scholarship Money or Tutor Online

August 18, 2008

Through The Looking Glass

Apparently each member of my immediate family is walking around with a big “V” tattooed on our foreheads these days. That’s “V” for victim. Karly’s car was hit with paintballs two nights in a row last week and Randy woke up last Wednesday to find that his car had been broken into during the night. The thief/thieves took his iPod and wallet and he spent the morning cancelling credit cards and talking to the police. My story of victimization, however, takes the cake.

I woke up Thursday to an e-mail from a stranger entitled, “Your pictures have been posted on a porn site…thought you’d like to know.” At first I was convinced that it was just a spam ploy to get me to click on the link enclosed in the e-mail to visit a porn site, but as I re-read the message it began to ring authentic. The message stated that there was a user on this particular website who had been claiming to have cancer. When other members questioned the veracity of her story, she posted bald pictures of herself in her site profile in order to “prove” that she was going through chemo. Several other members did a quick Google search and discovered my blog and posted the link on this porn website as proof that the pictures did not actually depict the user who was claiming that they were her. One woman followed the link, found my e-mail address, and sent me the e-mail.

I checked out the site but discovered that in order to access anything there you had to be a registered user. I was able to find an e-mail address for the site owner, however, so I sent an e-mail asking them to investigate these claims and to remove any pictures of me. As I thought about it some more, I became curious and decided to just go ahead and register for the site. Once I was officially a member of this porn site (I’m not going to post the link here, but if you want to know which one it is e-mail me and I’ll send you the link.), I began looking around. The members of this site can create a blog within the site and it only took me a couple of seconds to find this woman’s blog. She had removed the pictures by the time I visited, but I was able to read the posts on a thread where other members accused her of stealing the pictures and her responses to those accusations.

I immediately sent an e-mail to two attorneys I know who I thought might be able to give me some guidance as to how to handle this situation and then I went about my day. When I was finally able to get back to the computer later in the afternoon, I discovered that the woman’s blog was gone from the site as well as all the posts about my pictures. I discovered another blog, however, where people were talking about this and I decided to go ahead and post a response. In my comment, I talked about the fact that I am not this woman, that I never gave her permission to use my photos, and I suggested that she contact me if she was reading this and that I could give her some links to actual cancer support groups. I also wrote that there were probably better places for her to look for cancer support than on a bondage/s&m website message board.

I documented everything that was still available on the site with screen shots and then I called the police. The officer who came out documented my story, though he didn’t actually file a report. I hoped that would suffice if I needed to subpoena records from the website at some point.

I am grateful to the woman who contacted me, because I would never have known about this if she hadn’t told me. She said that her mother died of cancer and she was therefore disgusted that this woman was using pictures of me with no hair and claiming them as her own. She also offered to let me know if she spots any more photos of me.

And then some interesting things began to happen. Other users of the site began to post angry messages on the blog directed at me. They thought that the fact that I had suggested that this woman look for cancer support somewhere other than this website was my “small-minded” way of saying that the members of this website were somehow bad or flawed and that they couldn’t possibly support someone in need. These people were furious with me and let me know it in no uncertain terms, but I felt that their defensiveness was an over-reaction. In fact, one of the members apologized for the perceived “rudeness” of some of the posters and suggested that they were defensive because the bdsm community is not generally well-received. I returned to the blog again to posted a comment explaining that I didn’t mean to disparage the people on the site in any way and that I was sure they had as close-knit and supportive a community as any other on the internet, and that my intent was really just to offer cancer support resources to the woman who started all of this.

The following morning when I checked my e-mail, I had a message waiting for me from the woman who posted the pictures. She apologized for what she had done and noted that she had retracted her claims and that she had taken the pictures off her site. I wrote back to her, accepted her apology, and told her that as far as I was concerned this was all water under the bridge. I said that I understand that we all make bad decisions sometimes and that we really just have to try to move on from them after the fact. I also offered to share my cancer support resources with her if she needed them. She replied with some very kind words and stated that she was not yet feeling brave enough to explore any cancer support resources.

The most amazing part of this, however, is the number of private e-mails I have received from other users of this website over the past two days. Quite a few people wrote to me to tell me about their mothers or grandmothers or friends who have or had breast cancer. All of these women said that they had clicked on a posted link to my blog out of curiosity and then they started reading my story and apparently it resonated quite strongly for many of them. I find it astounding that out of all of this, a group of women that I would probably never have come into contact with have been moved by something that has happened to me. The internet certainly makes the world a smaller place, doesn’t it?

There is also a lesson here, of course, and that is that you have to be very cautious about what you put out there on the internets. There are a lot of crazy people out there, and unfortunately we take a risk when we open ourselves up to them the way that I have. I knew when I first decided to post pictures that I ran the risk of something like this happening, but I certainly never thought it would happen to me. I plan to leave my pictures up and easily accessible on this blog, but I will be removing the pictures of my kids so that there is no danger of something similar happening to them. (If I have posted a picture of you at anytime and if you want me to remove it from my blog, please let me know.)

January 04, 2008

To Be Continued....

Just a warning that things will probably be quiet here for the next week or so. Spring semester starts tomorrow with a week-long trial practice intensive. I'll be in class every day from tomorrow through next Saturday from 9:00-5:00. Add my daily 5 hours of commuting to that and you get little time for posting....or anything else! The laundry is done, the family schedule is semi-organized, and the pantry is stocked with quick and easy meals for the family. Let's hope we all make it through the week.

December 07, 2007

Technical Difficulties

I think the whole blog has been hijacked by the spam bots now. I can't seem to get any comments to work. If you've tried to leave a comment and you received a message that said the comment was being held for approval, I didn't get it. I'm only getting spam comments right now. (E-mail seems to be working fine, though, so you can always e-mail me instead.) I'm trying to work on the problem periodically when I have a few moments, but it's low on the list compared to studying so a fix may have to wait until after finals.

November 11, 2007

Las Vegas Recap

Las Vegas was sunny and warm and as relaxing as we could make it. We spent a lot of time eating and sitting by the pool and a little time walking around. We had a couple of excellent meals, saw (a Cirque de Soleil show) and stayed in two different hotels (that story to follow in another post). Neither Randy nor I are gamblers, so the extent of our gambling consisted of the $15.00 I lost within 3 minutes while sitting at a slot machine in the MGM casino waiting for Randy to pick up our show tickets. My legs held out for the limited walking around that we did, although my feet suffered a bit from the cute shoes I wore to the show and to the scholarship award ceremony.

Before we left, I threw my brunette wig in the suitcase thinking that I might want to wear it instead of a scarf if I dressed up for dinner. And indeed, when I got dressed on Wednesday night I decided that the scarves I had just didn’t work with the outfit I was wearing so I put the wig on. It was great to have hair for an evening, even if the wig itself drove me crazy all night. I spent a lot of the time worried about it slipping backward or forward and was so relieved when I was finally able to take it off that night. It was a strange experience to wear it since I have hardly worn a wig at all since I lost my hair. Apparently I have gotten used to people looking at me because I definitely noticed that they weren’t looking at me that night.

Every time I see this I think it’s a picture of Randy and my sister, Molly.
Randy and the Brunette.JPG
Randy and some chick he picked up in Vegas.

The award ceremony (or what I thought was going to be an award ceremony) was held at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino on Thursday night. I was told to be there at 7:30 p.m. and that my award would probably be presented around 9:00 p.m. that evening. Not knowing exactly what to expect, I dressed in one of my favorite lawyer uniforms complete with pearls, pumps and pantyhose.

Randy and I arrived at the Hard Rock early, so we snuck into Nobu for some champagne and sushi (which was amazing) and then sauntered over to the designated room around 7:00 p.m. or so. As soon as we got there I recognized Daniel Kovach, the man who runs, and introduced myself to him. We talked with him for a few minutes and got the run-down about what was going on during the evening.
With Daniel Kovach.JPG
With Daniel Kovach.

Continue reading "Las Vegas Recap" »

October 29, 2007


…That’s my new favorite number, since it is the number of votes that put me well into first place and that makes me the winner of the $10,000 Blogging Scholarship.


And the very first thing I have to do is to thank YOU.

The reason I won is because of the immense outpouring of support from all of you--friends, family and complete strangers all over the world. This award could not have come at a better time for me and my family, and we are all deeply grateful. I plan to use the money to pay some of the principle and interest on my student loans. As one commenter said recently, although $10,000 is a drop in the bucket of law school debt, it’s a pretty good drop nonetheless. And every drop helps!

I know that many of you have been sitting in front of your computer screen watching the votes and comments roll in over these past three weeks, and I appreciate your company. It has been astounding for me to watch it all happen, and is far, far beyond anything I expected or could have predicted.

I came upon a post somewhere about the scholarship accidentally one day a month or so ago just a few days before the application deadline. Later that evening, I sat on the couch, composed my essay, and then submitted it to as required. I mentioned to Randy in an offhand comment that night that I had applied for the scholarship, and then I forgot about it for a few days. You can imagine how excited I was when I opened my e-mail in-box on October 8th and found out that I was one of the 20 finalists for the scholarship.

That morning I composed an e-mail message which I sent out to 50-75 friends and family and to about 25 “cyber friends” thinking that maybe with their help I could get a couple of hundred votes. I had no idea what it would take to win or if I even had a chance.

And then it started. You all took it and ran with it. You sent it to the people in your address book, they sent it to the people in their address book, and then they sent it on. Some of you posted it on your blogs, and then more people posted it on theirs. I have received hundreds of e-mails from people all over the country telling me their stories and offering encouragement and support. I was surprised and encouraged by the initial reaction, and then I was stunned at the power of the internet and of word of mouth as the days progressed. The $10,000 pales in comparison to the amount of support I have received from all 9,150 of you in the last three weeks while watching all of this unfold.

Shelley Batts and Jess Kim, the second and third place contestants in the contest, will both receive $1000 and the remaining 7 of the top 10 contestants will each receive $100. I had the pleasure of exchanging e-mail with both Shelley and Jess during the contest and think they are both very intelligent and kind young women who will go far in their chosen fields. Both of them have excellent blogs and I encourage you to visit their sites, as well.

Daniel Kovach, the man behind the money, has invited me to come to the Blog World and New Media Expo in Las Vegas next week to accept the award. Thanks to some of Randy’s left-over points from his travelling days and help from our parents, we are going to be able to go and to spend a couple of days there, as well. It will be one of the most slow-paced, conservative visits to Las Vegas ever since I get tired so easily and can’t walk far, but it will be nice to get away for a couple of days.

Thank you all. My gratitude knows no bounds.

October 25, 2007

Six Degrees of Separation

Not that I’ve been watching the vote count or anything, but my vote totals have been skyrocketing today. That’s what happens when all the famous people start blogging about you. And it’s not only them, of course. It’s all of you. I have no words to tell you how stunned I am at how all of this has played out over the past couple of weeks. I am humbled by your support and willingness to help, and I can’t quite believe how many people all over the entire world have voted for me. More on that soon. For now, I want to tell you about a few of the amazing things that have been happening this week.

Last night I was checking my site stats to see who was visiting and from where, and I noticed hundreds of hits coming from this website and from this YouTube video. Curious, I visited the site and watched the video, only to hear my name mentioned by someone I had never seen or heard of before in my life. It was a little eerie and so I e-mailed him to thank him and to try to find out the connection. As it turns out, it wasn’t so mysterious—John is a good friend of a friend of mine from school. So I guess I am officially a nerdfighter now. And proud of it, I might add.

I keep thinking that this whole word-of-mouth vote-getting that has been going on is a little like six degrees of separation. With so many people getting in on all the fun, it seems like eventually someone is going to get the e-mail from more than one friend or from friends from two different circles or something like that. This evening my sister called me to tell me that she has been telling her friends and co-workers and some of her customers about the blogging scholarship. Molly said that today she told one of her customers about what was going on and the customer said that she had already voted for me this morning…but had no idea that I was Molly’s sister. She said she was reading the blog of one of her favorite authors, Jen Lancaster, and came across Jen’s plea for votes for me. So she followed the link and voted, having no idea that the person she was voting for had any relation to anyone else that she knew. Talk about a small world!

I also discovered that there is an English teacher at a Catholic high school (I think) somewhere in Canada (I think) who has come up with an excellent way for his students to practice structured writing. He has a blog where he posts writing topics and it seems that he has set up a blog for each of his students where they can write their responses and then turn them in by tracking back to his blog. One of his recent assignments was to have his students look at the blogs listed on the blogging scholarship website, choose a blog to vote for, and then to write about why they chose that blog. I think that is such a brilliant use of 21st century technology for a bunch of English students, and I have really been enjoying reading their essays. Mr. Sader’s assignment post is here and you can read the students’ essays by clicking on the list of trackbacks at the bottom of the post.

October 14, 2007

Time Travelling

I’ve mentioned that I had a blog before I started posting about my breast cancer journey back in April of this year. It was a completely anonymous blog where I wrote about being a mom and about being a mom in law school. I started it in November 2003 and took the whole thing “off the air” in August 2006.

I initially began writing about my law school experience because when I was in the process of applying to law school there was only one other law school-related blog being written by a mother (From Engineer to Lawyer, who was pregnant at the time) and one blog being written by a lawyer who was a mom (Angry Pregnant Lawyer). I desperately wanted to know how other moms were handling the whole experience and thought that maybe I could help someone else by sharing my experiences. As I became more and more worried about the potential negative effects blogging might have on my future legal employment, however, I made the decision to take the blog down. Most of you never knew about that blog, although there are quite a few people reading who remember me from “the old days.”

Since I am blogging again, I have recently been tossing around the idea of re-posting some of those old posts on the off chance that maybe some other mom applying to law school might find them helpful. Today I looked through the old posts and found one that was written exactly three years ago today— the day I officially became a law school applicant. I will start out by posting that one, since it was essentially the beginning of my official path to law school (although the path itself actually began a long before that when I first thought about the possibility of becoming a lawyer). I will pre-date the posts with their original posting date, and hopefully will have some time to add more over the next few weeks.

October 12, 2007

Feeling Like A Winner

When I received the e-mail on Monday morning telling me that I was a finalist for this blogging scholarship, I decided that I would post the information on my blog and that I would send out an e-mail to my family and to a few friends in order to try to drum up some votes. I envisioned that maybe I would be able to get a few hundred votes, but had no idea how many I would need to win or if I even had a chance to win. I was so happy with the supportive responses I received from those family and friends and I was grateful when they told me they were going to tell their friends. I never expected the incredible response my little vote request has received in the past few days, though. As this has gathered momentum it has grown and grown and it just takes my breath away.

You can read the comments I have received on the blog, but what you can’t see is the hundreds of e-mails that have also flooded my in-box. I have heard from people whose mothers or sisters or friends have had breast cancer. I have heard from many breast cancer survivors and from some incredible student mothers. I have received e-mails from friends I haven’t seen in months or years and from so many more people all over the country and the world, both people I know and people I have never met.

Many people have posted a link to my blog or to the voting page on their own blogs, including complete strangers. I am continually astonished at the number of people who have gotten behind this, even if they don’t know me.

For the first few days I tried keep up with all the comments and e-mails by responding with at least a thank you, but I am now so far behind that I don’t know if I will ever catch up. I am still hoping to be able to respond to all of you, but it may be awhile before I get through all the e-mails.

I don’t know how to begin to thank all of you for this amazing outpouring of support. My family and I are so grateful to each one of you for your efforts to help me win this contest. Your response has been quite stunning and I don’t have the words to tell you how it makes me feel. With or without this scholarship, just knowing that there are so many people willing to rally around us at a time like this makes me feel like I have already won.

Thank you.

October 11, 2007

Addressing the Haterz

Thank you for coming to my defense against the negative commenters here and on the scholarship site message board with your own comments and supportive e-mails. You all are incredible.

Since this is my blog and I get to have the floor whenever I want to, I want to take just a moment to address my own reaction to these people. I have chosen to ignore them (other than this post), and you all should do the same. Your time is much, much too valuable to waste responding to their vitriol! I have the ability to delete their comments, but thought I’d leave them up for my own and your entertainment.

I knew when I hit the submit button for this contest that I was opening myself up to the possibility of such negativity. I knew when I applied for the scholarship that public voting was a part of it and that it meant that whatever anonymity I had left would probably be stripped away. (I had no idea that your response was going to be as amazing as it has been, however!) I have been reading the blogs of some of the other finalists, and many of them have experienced similar kinds of negativity. That is to be expected, though. After all, there’s a lot of money on the line, and the promise of cash seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. It’s interesting that it’s not bringing out the worst in the other finalists, though, but instead in other people who are not even in the running for the money.

Please rest assured, however, that these comments don’t bother me at all. There’s too much that’s positive in my life right now for me to find them at all hurtful. I actually think they’re kind of funny and as Mieke said, those commenters get my pity vote as much as anything. To take the time to come to my blog, read some posts (if they even read any of them) and then to leave a comment about the ways in which they think I am undeserving of this scholarship tells me that they definitely have too much time on their hands. How bereft of love and happiness must their lives be that they feel they need to express their opinions about a complete stranger in that way? It’s really sad, truly, and I think they deserve our pity more than anything else.

That said, I’d like to respond briefly to their comments.

Dear robo man, I hope that no one has you tied to a chair in front of a computer screen displaying my blog, forcing you to wade through the “wasteland of uninteresting content” day after day. Short of that, one great thing about living in the United States is that you don’t ever have to subject yourself to my writing. You have a choice, and can avoid reading what you don’t like by not visiting my blog. Just close the screen and move on. Seriously, dude, it’s no skin off my back.

And Chone, sweetheart, I’d like to set the record straight by pointing out the fact that the Blogging Scholarship requirements listed on the website required applicants to be current students in a post-secondary education program. Whether or not you want it to, law school does indeed fit that description. If the decision-makers thought that my blog was not eligible for the scholarship, they probably would not have chosen me as one of the finalists. In addition, I am not the only graduate student finalist. And although I don’t owe you any explanation, I’d also like to let you know that I am planning to practice public interest law after I graduate. That's not exactly a lucrative area to work in as an attorney. I can predict my eventual income within a few thousand dollars and it will be a mere fraction of that of many of my law school classmates, although my student loan balance will be exactly the same as theirs. It sounds like you might be a little jealous of the supposed earning power of the legal profession, in which case I suggest that you enter it yourself and take advantage of what you see as easy money.

And my dear friends, thanks again for your support and for your wonderful defense of me and my blog. You guys are too cool.

September 12, 2007

What Happened To Summer?

There’s a fall chill in the air here in Chicago already which has laid all my bold bald plans to waste. I planned to spend the day at school yesterday without a head covering, but I ended up staying covered up all day. I knew it was going to be a problem when I left the house in the morning…the thermometer read 54 degrees and despite my hat, it was painfully cold walking through that train station parking lot. I am amazed at how much heat my hair held in and at how chilled I felt all day long without that hair. I think I’ll just have to be bald in pre-arranged…and warm…places for the next couple of months.

I did start out in class with nothing on my head. I sit in the back of the room and I noticed that throughout the first several minutes of the lecture my professor kept looking up at me in the back row. I kept getting the sense that she was intrigued by my bare head…she’s only seen me in a scarf until now. We were discussing a case about optometrists and opticians (Williamson v. Lee Optical for my fellow law students) and at one point she made a statement about the regulation of eye care. However, she looked at me just before she uttered that sentence and it came out as “hair care.” She was a bit more flustered about her mistake than she should have been which confirmed my suspicion that she was definitely paying attention to my look. I couldn’t help laughing about it and I was sure to point out what preceded her mistake to my friend Kristi sitting next to me.

I only made it through about 20 minutes of class, however, before I realized that there was a serious…and cold!..draft in the room. Luckily I had thrown a scarf in my bag in the morning, so I walked down the stairs to the front of the lecture hall in all my bare-headed glory in order to go to the bathroom and put the scarf on. I am pretty sure that the professor must have noticed the number of eyes that drifted from her face to my head during my trek through the room.

Other than being cold all day, it was a rough day for me yesterday. I found myself so exhausted that I had a hard time concentrating on the class discussions and by the time I went to my second class I had a hard time staying awake. I continue to be concerned about my ability to handle school throughout this, but I do notice that I feel much more confident about it the week before my treatment when I’m feeling better than I do during this week after. I am sure that my level of confidence is directly related to how I feel on any given day, so I’m going to continue to soldier through for now and hope that I am able to keep up with everything.

Today I was back at the oncologist’s office for a blood test and as always my white and red blood cell counts are low….surprise, surprise. (Today’s waiting room music selection was The Doobie Brothers crooning China Grove.) I’m looking forward to getting over this hard part and getting on to feeling better as the week progresses.

(Note: I'm in the process of trying to change the look of the blog. Each change is a slow, painful learning process for me, however. If you stop by and see some weird looking colors/fonts/layouts, etc., just ignore them. Hopefully I'll have it figured out in the next several days.)

September 07, 2007

Ignore the Dire Warning!

I have a ton of reading to do for school, but in the interests of procrastination I’m bringing you a couple of blog posts instead. I do have my casebook open next to me while I write, so that counts, right? Granted, it’s open to a non-printed page that I used to take notes during my chemo appointment yesterday, but at least it looks like I’m working on law school assignments. Even though the only beings in the room other than me are the two dogs and the cat and they couldn’t care less whether it looks like I’m working or not.

On to the important stuff. Or not so important stuff.

Several people have recently informed me that if you search for my blog on Google it comes up with a warning that says that visiting it might harm your computer. After some research into this warning and some help from my favorite blog guru, I’m pretty certain I can assure you that my site won’t harm your computer. Without getting into too many details, there is a random image file somewhere on the server that is causing it to look like my site is hackable, but it’s probably just a conservative warning. The site administrator will be looking into it eventually and will fix it, but for now rest assured that it’s okay. He’s a busy man, though, what with his work defending individual rights out in Montana, so it might be awhile before he gets to it.

If you need to search for my website on a search engine, for now, you can use one of the others although you may have to dig for it a little bit. While searching for The Merits of the Case brings up my site as the #2 listing on Google, it’s buried way down on page 18 as listing #173 on It is listed on page 9 of, on page 17 of, and as #14 on But there are no warnings listed on any of those search engines.

Ah, the joys of the internets.

May 19, 2007

Glitch in the Comments

There seems to be a glitch in the comment function right now. I'm working on it (and if anyone has any ideas of how I can get it fixed, I'd appreciate them! I'm using MT and I think I have the comments set up properly...but maybe not). In the meantime, there's a link to my e-mail address over on the right.

UPDATE: With many, many thanks to the imbroglio, my own personal computer technician savior, comments are now working!